Need to boil water quickly, evenly and efficiently? Forget the microwave, you need an electric kettle. A good kettle is easy to use, efficient, safe, and easy to clean and maintain as well.
We’ve evaluated a number of electric kettles and today we’ll turn our attention to another solid brand at an affordable price – Farberware. We’ll take a look at their stainless steel and glass kettles and show you what we like or dislike about each model.
Farberware 1.7L Glass Electric Kettle
Design: For those who prefer the sleek and contemporary look of a glass kettle, the Farberware Glass Electric Kettle may be a good choice for you.
The features are basically the same as the aforementioned stainless steel model but in a nutshell:
- Clear see-through glass to easily determine water levels.
- Auto Shut off when the water has fully boiled.
- Boil Dry protection
- Blue LED power indicator light
- Push-button lid
- Removable filter to strain hard water and minimize deposits
- 360-degree rotating base
Update: This model has apparently been discontinued as it is only available from 3rd party sellers on Amazon and sporadically available at Walmart and Target.
- If you really want it, you can buy it either new or used from a 3rd party here on Amazon.
- If you prefer the look and feel of a glass kettle, there are a number of great options:
Again, like many electric kettles in this price range, the features are all going to be very similar. Any electric kettle worth its salt will heat up your water very quickly, have a simple on/off switch or indicator light, and will be easy to clean.
The difference really comes down to a matter of preference in design as well as trust in the brand name.
Zeppoli Glass Electric Kettle – Glass, 1.7L
The Zeppoli features a smooth and sturdy glass body with stainless steel accents at the bottom and top of the kettle. As with almost every kettle we review, it is BPA-free, which basically means that it’s safe and will ensure that potentially toxic chemicals won’t seep into your water.
It has nearly 2,000 customer reviews on Amazon with a 4 star rating
Features at a glance:
- Bright LED light to indicate when the kettle is in use.
- Boils water in about 5 minutes
- Easy anti-slip-grip and pour handle that stays cool to prevent burns.
- Cordless serving with 360 degrees rotating base.
The Cosori is another elegantly designed electric kettle made with borosilicate glass designed to resist knocks, bumps, and scratches. It is BPA-free as no plastic part of the kettle touches the boiling water.
Features at a Glance:
- Blue LED indicator to indicate when the device is in use.
- Easy to use press down the button.
- Fast heating: They claim a heating time of 3-7 minutes.
- Auto Shut off and Boil-dry protection: Uses what it calls Sitrix thermostat technology to turn the kettle off within 30 seconds once the water has been boiled.
- Stainless steel metal filter at the spout.
- A wide mouth to facilitate cleaning and filling.
- 2-year warranty
How to Clean Your Electric Kettle
Over time, as you use your electric kettle, you will accumulate hard water build-up, also referred to as limescale. Hard water build-ups are mineral deposits that, over time, reduce the performance of your kettle or water boiler.
You can use a home made solution of citric acid or vinegar to remove this build or buy a citric acid cleaner.
Our Take: I went from stainless steel to glass kettles and back to stainless steel. It’s a matter of preference and there is no right or wrong answer. Although other kettles, such as the Breville come with more functionality, for this price range, both the Zeppoli and Cosori kettles are great choices.